My $0.02 Worth of Thoughts

This blog was created so that I can look back and remember the quirky things that happen in life. It's just a more sophisticated journal/scrapbook. The downside is my family and friends know what's happening in my life before my hubby does! :) Just kidding.

Friday, January 04, 2008

Naturalization Interview

I finally went for my naturalization interview this morning. After a nervous morning, my husband drove me to the site and my interview was set at 11.05am. I arrived with 15 minutes to spare and knowing that I couldn't possibly cram anything else into my stressed out mind, I settled down in the waiting room with the People magazine. Just as I was getting into which celebrity was wearing what and who's hooking up with who, I heard my name called, right on the dot. This gentleman led me to the slaughter.... ooops, I meant his office and I had to solemnly swear that I will tell nothing but the truth. Then we proceeded to go through my application to check that everything was correct. Then I signed my name on the dotted line to say I am willing to bear arms for USA if required. Following that, I was asked 10 civics question (of course I got them all correct!) and was asked to write the sentence "I know how to write English" on a piece of paper. And that was it. He said, "Congratulations! You passed the interview." I must say he was a very nice man, frinedly and not intimidating, doing his best to make a person feel at ease.
He then told me a letter will be mailed to let me know when and where to go to take the Oath of Allegiance, at which time I will get my Citizenship Certificate and forfeit my Green Card.
I was out of there in 15 minutes. I am really very impressed by the whole process which was very different from when I applied for my Green Card. That process was not as pleasant and prompt.
My husband told me that my demeanour took a 180 degree change after I came out from the interview. I guess I have been quite stressed for the last week. I KNEW I should never have watched the movie, Green Card!

Timeline for process:
March 13, 2007 - Mailed Application
March 22, 2007 - Receipt of Notice of Action
April 24, 2007 - Notice to get fingerprints taken.
May 17, 2007 - Fingerprints taken.
November 15, 2007 (guestimate)- Notice for Interview
Jan 4, 2008 - Interview
??? - taking the Oath.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

??? - Bear arms for USA if required. :)

9:21 AM  
Blogger jewlzshu said...

Fight for the country...join the army, I guess. :)

8:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mrs Mathews, I understood perfectly what bearing arms for US meant. I was trying to complete/add on to your timeline for processing your citizenship certificate!! Your last activity in your list of timeline was ??? - taking the oath, presumably date unknown for oath taking. So i added ??? - bear arms bla bla...ie. date unknown to bear arms for USA. It will be fun to watch you bear arms for US and me wathing it live in my living room! :)

10:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My friend and I were recently talking about how involved with technology our daily lives have become. Reading this post makes me think back to that discussion we had, and just how inseparable from electronics we have all become.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Ethical concerns aside... I just hope that as the price of memory drops, the possibility of copying our memories onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's a fantasy that I dream about almost every day.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://quizilla.teennick.com/stories/16129580/does-the-r4-or-r4i-work-with-the-new-ds]R4i Card[/url] DS SPPost)

9:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very useful read. I would love to follow you on twitter.

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home